A website is the marketing tool for an online business. Good websites must be attractive and be able to grab the attention of a large number of visitors.
Good web designing is an art that requires knowledge of programming and how your visitor will interact with the website. So make the website user friendly but most importantly make it so search engines can find you organically. After all, your goal is to compete against the first 10 competitors for your keyword and search engine optimization is how to do this.
The most important rule I follow for a website is the KISS formula. Keep It Simple Silly. Do not lose your visitor with a whole lot of fancy stuff if you want them to find your product or message.
1. What do you want your website to do for you? Design the website according to this question. If all you want is a simple squeeze page then design a simple squeeze page. If you want to convey information then keep it simple and convey that information. Fancy graphics and other distractions are not conveying what you want to your visitor.
2. Planning the web design. Planning on a piece of paper what you want on the web page is important. Doing simple research on other websites on the materials you want to convey to your visitor will give you a feel for how to design your site.
3. Planning your theme and layout for each page is important. Look at your competitors and see if you find their theme attractive. Incorporate ideas from those sites that you know will attract your visitor. Design those ideas into your website.
4. Navigating around your site requires a site map. Remember it is important that your visitor can easily navigate around your site. Implement normal links for moving around and place those links together like an index for your site. It is important that your visitor does not get frustrated while navigating around your site as they will leave or click away.
5. Download time is important. It gets frustrating to the major visitors if they have to wait for a page to download. Over use of graphics and images will increase download time. Ideally a complete page should not exceed 30KB. This ensures that most visitors will see your entire page in about 5 to 6 seconds at the most.
6. Do not allow your visitor the opportunity to click away on a link on your web site that leaves your domain. It has been proven that you generally have lost that visitor and a potential customer.
Remember it is about presenting the information in an elegant, decorative, user friendly and timely manner. So consider the above tips when designing a website in the future.